Big Rapids High School
BRHS is enjoying another great year with a wide variety of activities happening at any given moment. Here are a few:
- A variety of our groups continue to support humanitarian and/or school related projects. Our Key Club, in cooperation with the BRHS staff, collected 50 gifts for the Salvation Army's Angel Tree for the holidays. 36 volunteer hours were tallied by 18 student ringing the bell for the Salvation Army's Kettle Campaign and 30 students volunteered to assist the Brookside PTO with their Holiday Gift Shop. In addition, NHS has been busy tutoring after school 4 days a week, volunteering at the animal rescue coalition once a month on Saturday mornings, running a pet food drive for the ARC (we collected over 60 pounds of pet food, along with treats and toys), and sponsoring blood drives for the American Red Cross. Our 3rd blood drive of the year is scheduled for March 9th from 8:30 - 2:15
- In addition to the usual concerts, festivals and Solo and Ensemble events, our BRHS choirs have had many “extra” opportunities in 2016 – 2017. Arya Rao will be performing with the SSAA State Honors Choir at MMC in DeVos on Saturday, January 20 th 2017. Five BRHS students participated in the MSU Vocal Leadership day back in October, and 11 students participated in the U of M Vocal Arts Day Saturday, January 7. In December, our BR Choirs caroled at the hospital tree lighting ceremony and participated in the Artworks “Evening of Harmony”.
- In April, our BRHS choirs will have a joint concert with the BR community women’s chorus “Voca Lyrica”! We will also host State Solo and Ensemble. May brings State Choral festival and spring concerts!
- Our BRHS women’s ensemble will be singing with the West Michigan Opera Company in “LeNozze di Figaro” in Grand Rapids in January – and then again in Big Rapids in February! On February 27, our BR Choirs are hosting a performance by “The Cat’s Pajama’s” – an a cappella vocal ensemble from Branson, Missouri – they’re amazing!
- Our Theatre Department presented the one act musical Once on This Island, a story of a peasant girl on a tropical island who uses the power of love to bring together people of all classes, In December. Members of our thespian troupe performed at the State theatre festival as well. 17 students performed and presented events for college and professional theatre adjudicators. Every student earned at least one superior rating! 2 students earned scholarship offers from four year universities!
- The Big Rapids High School Bands had one of its most successful fall marching programs - African Sketches. The music was powerful and emotional and the color guard and visual design was the best it has ever been with real, authentic fabric and head wraps from Ghana and Tanzania. The marching band won 1st place in Class B at the Red Flannel Invitational in Cedar Springs and earned another straight-I performance at District Marching Festival for the 7th consecutive year. We are also honored to have 4 students chosen for the MSBOA High School All-State Band - Allyson Johnson, Jacob Bleeker, Mollie Weber and Joseph Vajda. They performed at DeVos Performance Hall as part of the Michigan Music Conference on Saturday January 21 st.