S.T.A.R.S. Title I Program
Students Taking Academic Responsibility for their Success
Title I Program
At Brookside our staff is dedicated to working with our students and helping them reach their full potential. At the beginning of the year, all students are screened in the areas of Reading, Writing, and Math. Those that qualify for support will be placed in a daily S.T.A.R.S. group for support their classroom instruction.
What is Title I?
Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act provides financial aid to educational agencies to meet the needs of children. The goal of Title I is to provide instructional services and activities which support student learning.
Title I programs offer:
- Small groups instructed by highly qualified staff
- Additional instruction time and material
- A variety of teaching methods to supplement regular classroom instruction
What will the S.T.A.R.S. Title I program do for my child?
Our S.T.A.R.S. program will provide small group, slower paced instruction with fun, inviting, materials instilling confidence, ownership and academic progress. S.T.A.R.S. time will quickly become a favorite part of a student’s day.
How are students chosen for S.T.A.R.S.?
- Comprehensive needs assessment of the entire school.
- Teacher observations of reading & math skills.
- We assess every student three times a year using the Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills (DIBELS) to determine their present skill level as well as measure growth throughout the year.
- Through our Teacher Assistance Team we will identify the students who are in most need of extra support and place them in our S.T.A.R.S. program.
Every Star Deserves a Chance to Shine!
Brookside Title I Staff
Jenny Bentley, Title I ELA Teacher
Emily Nichols, Title I Math Teacher
Brenda Clise, ELA
Heather Reed, Math