At Brookside Elementary, The Leader in Me is beginning to be embedded in everything we do. The Leader in Me provides our children with solid principles and skills to be successful beyond the school day and well into their future! Our students and staff are implementing the 7 Habits/Life skills from Dr. Stephen Covey's book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People".
It has been an outstanding start to the 2016-17 school year. The remainder of the year brings March is Reading Month, Reading & Writing Night, PTO Book Fair, Leadership Day, Science Share Night, lunch on the Hill, and many more fantastic opportunities for our students to LEAD!
- Community relationships and collaborations continue to grow and enhance our classroom mentoring program. These mentors are positive role models showcasing their profession by interacting with our students. Their commitment of multiple classroom visits cultivates a unique and rewarding relationship, influencing lifelong choices for Brookside students.
- Brookside is striving to ensure all students read at grade level by 3rd grade. Our priority and focus are on implementing a rigorous core curriculum with solid supports and interventions. We are dedicated in partnering with our families to align strategies based on individual needs to guarantee success for all students.
- As of June 2015, Brookside was awarded the prestigious international title of a Leader in Me School! Our mission is to create a culture of student empowerment, recognizing that every student has a voice and can be a leader! We are committed to instilling the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Stephen Covey) and providing a positive environment for learning.
- Brookside is also very excited to host our first ever Leader in Me Family Learning Night on Wednesday, February 22nd from 5:15-7:30 p.m. The purpose of this night is to bring our families in for a student lead event where our kids are teaching about the 7 Habits- what they are, what they mean, and most importantly, how families can use them to improve their lives! We will have a room set up for each habit with a lesson and an activity to help parents learn more about them. Not only is this a great opportunity for our school to spread the word about the amazing, life long effects of the Leader in Me, but also a terrific opportunity to empower our students and let them showcase their leadership skills!
- Thanks to a grant from the Fuel Up To Play 60 Program, there will be several new additions to Brookside this year. Additions include new playground accessories, team building activity sets, outdoor seating for small groups, and a portable milk cooler. The Fuel Up to Play 60 program provides opportunities for kids to eat healthy and be physically active in school. Brookside’s Student Leadership Team was awarded an opportunity to participate in the Fuel Up to Play 60 Rally held at the Detroit Lion’s Ford Field. In February, Student Leadership Team members spent a full day on the field with Lion’s team members learning the importance of physical activity and healthy eating. They will apply what they learned to promote physical activity and healthy eating at Brookside and to apply for the Michigan School Wellness Award.
- Brookside is filled with enthusiasm, creativity, commitment and pride!