Big Rapids Middle School
- MAG Fundraiser - 6th Graders participated in a fundraiser to help eliminate UXOs (unexploded ordnance) “bombies” in the county of Laos. Over two million tons of cluster bombs were dropped between 1964 and 1973 and nearly 30% of these went unexploded, causing a history of serious threat to inhabitants of Laos to this day. Our BRMS 6th grade students led fundraising efforts that raised more than $3000 to go to this cause and make the land safe for their Laotian peers on the other side of the globe.
- BRMS Performing Arts - Big Rapids was once again named on a list of “Best Communities for Music Education” by the NAMM Foundation. This prestigious honor considers school and community commitment to music education, which was on display yet again this year at a high level. Big Rapids Middle School bands and choirs once again received the highest marks at their competitions. BRMS students also produced the play “Annie, Jr.” and choir and band students continued to receive top marks at regional and state levels.
- The Amazing Race - Over 150 kids on 48 teams participated in the 2019 Amazing Race! We appreciated the partnership with several local businesses to make this event a great one once again!
- MS Drama: The Wizard of Oz, Jr. and The Grimm Brothers Spectaculathon - Under the direction of Miss Devann Hattis, our students produced two remarkable theatre performances this year. In the winter, over 50 students, grades 5-8, performed in the cast of The Wizard of Oz, Jr. For the first time, BRMS also presented a spring one act play, The Grimm Brothers Spectaculathon!
- Community Service - We believe an important part of the BRMS experiences takes place outside of our walls. This year, over 300 of our students participate in community service projects that supported 14 local organizations.
- Talent Show - The annual BRMS Talent Show featured 30 acts and over 40 students who courageously performed a number of acts for our student body and parents. From dancing to singing, from comedy to rapping, our students put their greatest talents on display.
- BRMS Book Club - This year, BRMS partnered with the local Big Rapids Community Library to hold monthly “book club” sessions. Kids were able to spend time with literary specialist, Tirzah Price, and discuss the latest and greatest in the world of adolescent literature!