- 2018-2019 Overall School Performance Ranking of 93.07% by the Michigan School Index System
- 2017-2018 Overall School Performance Ranking of 87.41% by the Michigan School Index System
- 2016-2017 Awarded a “Beating the Odds and High Progress School”
Our school continues to exceed academic expectations and is committed to empowering leaders!
- Leader in Me - Recognized as a Lighthouse School 2018-2019! Schools that achieve “Lighthouse” certification shine as an example of the Leader in Me process, taking to its deepest and most impactful level of implementation. This outstanding title is awarded by Franklin Covey, to honor the attainment of a well-rounded leadership model. The Leader in Me provides our children with solid principles and skills to be successful beyond the school day and well into their future! For the last 5 years, we have been dedicated and committed to implementing and instilling the 7 Habits, “life-ready” skills from Dr. Stephen Covey. We join the elite 25 schools out of 165 in Michigan that have received Lighthouse status. Thank you to our student leaders and parents for their continued support for this initiative.
- School Wellness - Recipient of the 2018-19 School Wellness Gold Award by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Our continued efforts to promote and enhance the health and wellness of students through policy and environmental improvements (these last 5 years) has led to this achievement. Only 14 schools in Michigan reached gold status and of those only 6 were elementary. Brookside received Bronze in 2016-17 and Silver in 2017-18. Over the last 5 years, participation in several programs and many grants have improved physical activity, healthy eating habits and overall student wellness. The Fuel Up To Play 60 program continues to provide support in this area with over $15,000 in grant funds to create many opportunities for students to eat healthily and be physically active in school. Additions at Brookside include new playground accessories, activity sets, classroom brain break supplies, outdoor seating for small groups, enhancements to encourage healthy eating choices and equipment to support our new universal breakfast program. A highlight of this year is the implementation of the Universal Breakfast Program. This all-school breakfast is offered to every student daily at no cost to families. Students eating a balanced breakfast provides them with the nutrition needed for a great start to the school day.
- Community Mentors - This unique, 6-year initiative connects a community member with an appropriate classroom to become their mentor, supporter, and super-hero. This relationship develops during the school year with visits from their mentor, field trips to their place of business, and continuous support as suggested by the collaboration between the teacher and mentor. Building positive relationships between school, students, parents, teachers, and community is an integral part of teaching students the value of community.
- Family Involvement - Brookside continues to celebrate student success with many activities throughout the year. We thank our PTO as well as our Parent Lighthouse Team for their commitment to parental involvement activities. This year brought the following outstanding events and opportunities showcasing student leadership roles and achievement: Annual Leader in Me Leadership Day, Leadership Showcase, Community Service Projects, Science Share, Family Literacy Night, Walk-A-Thon, Caught Being a Cardinal Monthly Assemblies, Sharpen the Saw Days, March is Reading Month, Bagels & Books, Track & Field, Lunch on the Hill, PTO Carnival, 4th Grade Celebration and many more.